Please login with Candidate account to view more fields.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
National Irrigation Specialist
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: Company’s Scale
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
National Irrigation Specialist
- Contribute to drafting policy and strategy documents relating to agricultural water management in the country;
- Assess the present production systems in the country with particular attention to the water use per unit of product, irrigation systems applied, and overall water use efficiency;
- Assess the availability of material and/or equipment in the country which is needed to reduce water use and/or to increase water use efficiency and the preparedness of farmers to adopt improved technologies to increase water use efficiency;
- Coordinate and manage the implementation of TCP/ETH/3901 project on developing irrigation standards and regulations for Ethiopia;
- Advise and assist FAO to develop guidelines, manuals and policy advice on the irrigation infrastructure development that ensures sustainable and climate change resilient water resources management, introduction and promotion of new technologies on water harvesting and groundwater recharge;
- Identify good practices and the latest development of crop production systems using minimal quantities of water and assist Governmental Organizations (GOs), Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and other partners in setting up demonstration pilots to introduce and promote these minimal water-using production systems;
- Coordinate inputs and take the lead for the drafting and updating of all major reports and any other country/synthesis documentation prepared for specific donors, related to agricultural water management;
- Participate in the preparation and review of FAO Ethiopia field programme/project and thematic work plans to ensure technical consistency;
- Assist in formulating and drafting agricultural water management project documents and concept notes initiated at FAO Ethiopia;
- Contribute to the collection and regular updating of key information and data on water use and irrigation in agriculture and technically support the federal and regional governments, especially in the fields of policy, applied research, technical seminars and training and promotion of integrated land and water development programmes;
- Support the implementation of the work programme under RI2/SO2, providing technical support to the federal and regional governments that will assist their capacity for development, management and conservation of water resources; water/irrigation development, irrigation technologies and on-farm water management systems;
- Liaise with other UN and Development Partners in Ethiopia to ensure timely and relevant participation of FAO Ethiopia in the UN and other coordination processes and mechanisms put in place to address water resources development, management, irrigation, drainage and related subject matters;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in irrigation engineering or a related field.
- At least 8 years of experience in irrigation and water management of which at least 3 years experience as a senior expert or water resources management level.
- Relevant experience in providing support to irrigation projects in Ethiopia
- Good understanding of nation irrigation and drainage management challenges and opportunities;
- Significant experience in irrigation projects design and implementation
- Knowledge of issues related to irrigation water use, water use efficiency and management, water application methods and technologies
- Organization and planning skills;
- Training delivery and presentation skills;
- Technical report writing skills.
How to apply
Interested applicants, who fulfill the above requirement, can submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to: Careers@fao.org.
Deadline: 07 , February , 2023.
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: