Please login with Candidate account to view more fields.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
Forage Development and Animal Feed Specialist
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: Company’s Scale
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Forage Development and Animal Feed Specialist
- Assist in the identification, review and development of program interventions for the establishment of viable forage and livestock feed production value chains with emphasis on identifying forage crops that are most adapted to climate change, including crops/varieties that are rain-fed or require minimal irrigation suitable for planting under Ethiopian agricultural patterns and climate conditions and adapted to the climate;
- Conduct an assessment on the specific needs and interests of the forage-producing farmers in relation to forage production specifically in Somali, SNNP and Oromia regions;
- In collaboration with regional bureaus of agriculture and Livestock and pasture development in target regions, organize stakeholders’ workshops to disseminate the findings and recommendations of the aforementioned assessments on sustainable production of forage crops;
- Draft the terms of reference and assist in the identification and pre-screening of implementing partners supporting the multiplication of forage seeds of selected forage crops/feed varieties, and monitoring their progress in the implementation of LOAs programs; to ensure the production of sufficient certified seeds for sale to interested farmers through youth groups and cooperative “seed sales programme”, particularly those supported by the Project;
- Facilitate the establishment of youth farmer groups among community beneficiaries working on the promotion of forage seed and forage production and utilization including development of the action plans outlining areas of responsibility for the group’s members and the most effective means of organizing them;
- In collaboration with the forage groups, project staff and woreda technical staff prepare forage production action plan/business plan for selected forage producing groups;
- Develop and monitor work plans with project implementing partners and youth/women groups to ensure optimum participation, in demonstration activities, technical training, and establishment and rehabilitation of key productive infrastructure for forage seed and forage production stimulating ownership, and timely delivery of project outputs;
- Map the forage production areas jointly with government stakeholders and the target community;
- Select appropriate technologies and forage species for target communities and supervise the implementation of the forage seed multiplication, forage, and feed production component of the FAO Mastercard-funded project in Ethiopia in consultation with the project manager including; forage storage infrastructure designing and rehabilitation, establishing and managing forage and integrated forage/livestock experiments, collection, analysis, and reporting of technical results from project research and demonstration trials;
- Support the feed processing and feed production initiative to achieve feed modernization in the country;
- Technically support the specific youth groups to be established under the Mastercard-funded project to enable them to convert available forage or locally produced feed to produce supplementary animal feed (Multi Nutrient Blocks) in the project areas;
- Develop manuals for the production and management of the recommended forage and forage varieties;
- Develop effective institutional setup for forage producing group to sustain production and market linkage including assisting in the development of markets utilizing improved technical systems and equipment for forage and feed producers and processors;
- Organize project workshops, meetings, monitoring tours, and capacity building;
- Assist with up-scaling and out-scaling of project outputs;
- Write quarterly and annual reports;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- B.Sc. or graduate academic degrees in agriculture – specialization in pasture/forage production.
- At least 5 years of work experience in pasture/forage production and/or grazing management, specifically in a pastoral context.
- Extent and relevance of experience in project management and implementation using result-based management; including directing the formulation of the detailed work plan, setting objectives and priorities;
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting and facilitating multi-stakeholders processes including interacting with policy- and decision-makers at various levels;
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills within the team and with external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English, concisely in writing and verbally
- Excellent project management, team-working, planning, facilitation and communication skills;
- Familiarity and good knowledge of Livestock and agricultural livelihoods support systems, concepts and approaches, agricultural innovation system actors and issues in Ethiopia.
- Knowledge of policies related to forage and livestock production and marketing in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize data and write technical and non-technical reports in English.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural staff.
- Excellent command of MS Office applications and proficiency in PowerPoint.
How to apply
Interested applicants, who fulfill the above requirement, can submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to: Careers@fao.org.
Deadline: 08, February , 2023.
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: