Amref Health Africa is looking for qualified applicants for following open position.
JOB TITLE: Head of Markets
LOCATION: Preference for Nairobi, Kenya; potential to consider other locations in Africa
DETAILS: Full-time; starting as soon as possible
About SEMA Reproductive Health
Shaping Equitable Market Access for Reproductive Health – SEMA Reproductive Health – is a new, innovative partnership that aims to transform SRH markets so that people everywhere have sustained access to comprehensive, quality, and affordable SRH products. It emerged from a collective reflection by partners that although we have made tremendous improvements in SRH markets, we need to do business differently moving forward. In particular, we need to support countries to be stewards of their total markets and build a collaborative platform for countries, donors, and other partners to align on priority market problems, jointly problem-solve, and coordinate resources more efficiently to overcome SRH market challenges.
To that end, SEMA has been designed to strengthen countries’ and global partners’ capacities to build healthier, more equitable, and more resilient SRH markets to ensure sustained access to comprehensive, quality and affordable SRH products and services. To do so, SEMA will focus on aligning and strengthening efforts across geographies and private and public sectors through three core focuses:
1. Proactively monitor SRH market health by aggregating, analyzing, and monitoring market data to develop a holistic, unified view of user demand and current market supply of different SRH markets across regions and sectors to generate critical insights that can drive strategy & execution
2. Identify market barriers across geographies and co-design strategic solutions, tapping the unique strengths of existing networks and organizations in-country and globally to align on the most strategic approach
3. Support countries and global partners to finance and implement interventions including helping governments mobilize domestic funding against the problems, crowding in new players, directly funding market interventions and encouraging coordination of global investments to drive impact.
SEMA was announced in July 2021 alongside the Generation Equality Forum in France, with country governments from Nigeria, Burkina Faso, and Uganda; financial support from the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (MAE); and strategic partnership from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the Foreign Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO), and the Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition. The donors have currently committed approximately $55-70 million over five years to launch this organization with the aspiration to mobilize additional resources.
SEMA will operate in a lean coordinating structure backed by in-country focal points. SEMA will implement select functions directly and manage a pool of re-granting or contracted services via implementing partners to leverage and invest in ecosystem partners. SEMA is being incubated within Amref Health Africa to rapidly scale and deliver quick wins from the get-go and will spin out to form an independent entity once established. It is overseen by a governing body and leverages a technical oversight committee of a diverse group of experts for strategic and technical advice.
The Head of Markets is responsible for leading how SEMA supports and partners with countries and global partners to prioritize market problems, design solutions, and coordinate interventions to overcome market problems. This approach should keep in mind how to keep countries in the driver’s seat, how to leverage and build the ecosystem, how to align and coordinate with others effectively, but also how to break bad habits/practices, try new strategies, and design for the future. This role will work with the SEMA Country Leads to ensure they provide a common vision and learn from each other. Success for this role is that over time (i) countries are approaching SEMA as a partner to understand and collaborate in tackling SRH market problems and (ii) SEMA is providing a collaborative platform for countries and global partners to jointly and effectively collaborate to build healthy, resilient, and equitable SRH markets to meet community needs.
– Oversee the development and evolution of SEMA’s vision and approach to:
i. Drive a collaborative process to develop a working definition/framework/scorecard to assess the health of SRH markets that can be applied to global and country SRH markets to guide strategic direction
ii. Work in priority countries to align with local stakeholders around understanding and developing strategies to improve local SRH markets and identify how SEMA can complement the work of others while supporting countries to be stewards of their public and private SRH markets
iii. Synthesize country needs and global analytics with the Data & Analytics team to identify/prioritize SRH market problems that SEMA could address, manage working groups to develop strategies against the problems, and drive task teams to tackle the market challenges
– Develop approach along with other SEMA Management Team to drive prioritization among country and multi-country/global market opportunities to guide strategy and resource allocation
– Translate the above in collaboration with other SEMA Management Team into a strategic plan for market activities; track, adapt, and update the strategic plan over time
– Present and gather feedback on SEMA market strategy and activities with the Technical Oversight Committee
– Develop and present market strategy updates and recommendations to Governing Body as necessary
2. Country Market Strategy Program Oversight
– Recruit SEMA Country Leads in each priority country (in conjunction with Ministries of Health and other local stakeholders) to serve as SEMA’s primary points of engagement in each country
– Oversee Country Leads to ensure they are effectively engaging with country stakeholders, participating in local processes, and gathering information to:
i. Understand the local market context, support a country-led process to develop a market strategy, and identify priorities for how SEMA could complement the work of others to advance the country’s market strategy. Leverage this information to translate into SEMA’s workplan (objectives, metrics, and budget) for different geographies
ii. Identify, propose, develop and manage investment opportunities to support the local country market strategy
iii. Build and manage effective partnerships with critical stakeholders to advance work
– Oversee the SEMA country representatives and ensure they are learning and sharing best practices from each other in country engagement/support
– Develop and oversee SEMA’s approach to (i) monitor country needs and experiences and ensure these issues inform the broader SEMA strategic priorities and (ii) ensure SEMA is tracking how countries are building market stewardship capacity
– Document and share any lessons learned on how to optimize country market strategy engagement with the SEMA Management Team to continuously learn and improve the approach moving forward
3. Global Market Strategy Program Oversight
– Define, develop, and implement SEMA’s approach to monitor the health of SRH markets, identify market problems, and drive collective action to tackle the market problem with an eye towards addressing both short-term and longer-term needs as the organization gets off the ground
– Design and implement process to build working groups that align stakeholders around recommendations and task teams that coordinate stakeholder activities to address the market problem
– (Assuming supporting new/underutilised SRH interventions will be a SEMA priority moving forward) Develop a point of view of how SEMA can support adoption of new/underutilised SRH interventions that builds upon best practices but also addresses past challenges (e.g., promoting single product vs. portfolio, promoting short-term vs. systemic solutions, etc.)
– For prioritized multi-country market problems, drive process with SEMA Executive Director and other stakeholders to mobilize additional resources to finance the necessary market solutions
– Oversee process to develop and manage contracts, budgets, investments and other activities to execute the work and report progress
– Document and share any lessons learned to course correct/optimize global market strategy process with the SEMA Management Team moving forward
– Synthesize and communicate SEMA’s country and global market strategy approach with key stakeholders – including countries, technical experts, and key stakeholders – to build awareness and alignment, gather feedback, and develop partnerships
– Develop and manage effective relationships with key stakeholders (e.g., country governments, UNFPA, USAID, RHSC, FP2030, GFF) and related activities in the ecosystem (e.g., RHSC market activities, product introduction/market shaping initiatives) to advance the SEMA market strategy vision and approach, including developing any partnership agreements as appropriate
– Document progress, challenges and lessons learned to share with the working groups, Technical Oversight Committee, SEMA Governing Body, and SEMA Management Team as appropriate
5. Organizational Development
– Collaborate with other SEMA Management Team members to align workplans and activities (e.g., data & analytics, MLE) for organizational effectiveness and impact
– Participate and contribute to Management Team to support effective launch and evolution of SEMA organization including providing input on business model, staffing, and strategic priorities
– Recruit and manage great people to promote the desired culture to build a highly functioning, motivated, and effective team where people bring their best to the work
The Head of Markets will report directly to SEMA’s Executive Director. This role is one of three to four key Senior Management Team roles reporting to the Executive Director that will be hired within the first 6 months. Within the first year, this role will be leading a team of five to seven staff and overseeing investments with different partners. Until the Markets team is built, this person will have the support of interim consultants and strategic partnerships to support the critical work needed to progress toward SEMA’s goals.
• Strategic and visionary leader with proven experience in designing and managing market interventions (e.g., product introduction, reducing product prices, addressing product quality, ensuring consumer insights inform program design) in global health at global and country levels
• 10+ years of professional experience working in market dynamics with understanding of global and country market dynamics (financing/procurement flow, product introduction, public/private service delivery, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience developing and managing complex partnerships across key global donors and implementing organisations related to market areas
• Demonstrated success developing and managing complex partnerships with African country governments related to market areas
• Experience developing and managing complex market partnerships with pharmaceutical developers and/or manufacturers
• Experience designing and managing working groups and partnerships among diverse sets of players to align on a common strategic direction and execute against the strategy
• Experience working in sexual & reproductive health & rights markets specifically in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC)
• Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing multi-cultural team
• Entrepreneurial and creative mindset: track record in building new initiatives, entities, and/or teams
• Ability to think strategically (where are we going, how to organize the work) and drive project management (plan and manage numerous processes and projects simultaneously and meet deadlines)
• Ability to work independently in an ambiguous and changing environment
• Eagerness to contribute and collaborate to management team working in a start-up environment (i.e., enjoy creating, can be leader and execute on operational tasks where needed)
• Excellent written and communication skills, including areas of presentation and reporting writing, with experience presenting to multi-cultural and executive level bodies
• Demonstrated effectiveness to work in a multi-cultural work environment and committed to promoting an inclusive culture where everyone is valued and belongs
• Deep personal commitment to sexual & reproductive health & rights, including the right to safe abortion for all who need it
• Language proficiency: English (required); French (highly desirable)
Amref will manage the contract for this role. The position includes a competitive remuneration package.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply through the website www.amref.org where you will be directed to an online portal to create an account and submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and an updated CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications:May 31, 2022.
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels:
Please login with Candidate account to view more fields.