The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
National Advisor of Investment and Technology Promotion, Ethiopia – UNIDO
- Duty Station:Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013 as well as the Abu Dhabi Declaration adopted at the eighteenth session of UNIDO General Conference in 2019, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”.
The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities:
- Creating shared prosperity;
- Advancing economic competitiveness;
- Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
- Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
- The Directorate of Digitization, Technology and Agri-Business (DTA) coordinates and mainstreams the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in its technical cooperation, strategic, normative activities aiming at fostering the inclusive and sustainable development in the era of 4IR. The Directorate creates new and innovative technical cooperation deliverable in the areas of trade, investment, technology innovation and agro-industry and agri-business. The Directorate comprises the Department of Digitization, Technology and Innovation (DTI) and the Department of Agri-Business (AGR).
- The Department of Digitization, Technology and Innovation (DTA/DTI) is responsible for the strategic coordination of 4IR-related matters with designated focal points in other technical Departments and organizational entities of UNIDO, as appropriate. In consultation with public and private partners, DTI designs and implements holistic interventions that are tailored to specific country needs.
The Department’s interventions actively identify and combine complementary services from across three Divisions, namely:
- Innovation and Digitization Division (DTA/DTI/IDD)
- Investment and Technology Promotion Division (DTA/DTI/ITP)
- Quality Infrastructure and Smart Production Division (DTA/DTI/QIS)
- The Investment and Technology Promotion Division (DTA/DTI/ITP) harnesses different types of partnerships at corporate, institutional and political level to support developing countries in their endeavor to become attractive investment locations resulting in increased levels of investments (foreign direct investment, impact investments, domestic investments) as well as technology exchange and adoption.
- The Division expands its Investment and Technology Promotion Network by closely interlinking UNIDO’s Investment and Technology Promotion Offices (ITPOs) with investment promotion agencies (IPAs) and international corporate partners. UNIDO’s international network of Investment and Technology Promotion Offices (ITPOs) are located in Tokyo, Japan; Rome, Italy;
- Shanghai and Beijing, China; Seoul, the Republic of Korea; Moscow, the Russian Federation; Manama, Bahrain; Lagos, Nigeria; and Bonn, Germany. UNIDO ITPOs have contributed to reducing development imbalances, by brokering investment and technology agreements between developed, developing countries and countries with economies in transition. Located in both hemispheres, the specialized network of UNIDO ITPOs opens up opportunities for investors and technology suppliers to find potential partners and offers unique services to both entrepreneurs and business institutions.
- The objective of the Advisory Programme is to support developing countries and economies in transition in attracting green and responsible investments, trades, and technologies in support of their sustainable industrial development and economic growth. To achieve this goal, the Advisory Programme intends to capitalize on the know-how and expertise of UNIDO ITPO Korea by strengthening its outreach and service capacity in line with its mandate for Ethiopia. The programme will be implemented by assigning an advisor to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The advisor will act as a gateway to investment and technology cooperation opportunities between Ethiopia and Korea.
- Many developing countries and economies in transition experience enormous difficulties in attracting investment partners and in accessing innovative products and technologies to pursue sustainable industrial development and economic growth. In many cases, the problem stems from insufficient information of local enterprises on international market trends, technology sources, best practices and appropriate foreign investors as well as inadequate access to support services for identification, formulation, promotion and negotiation of investment projects and technology transfer. On the other hand, there is also a relatively low interest of international investor community to invest in developing countries, due to lack of awareness of investment climate, business environment, legal framework and investment/technology partnership opportunities which are absolutely necessary for a potential investor.
- Developing countries and economies in transition face additional difficulties, when they try to induce investment and technology transfer from countries like Korea due to language barriers, geographical distance and technological gaps.
- The above-mentioned problems and difficulties represent the challenges that the constituents of the international community, including UNIDO and Korea, could solve by utilizing expertise and resources that each constituent possesses for sustainable development of developing countries and economies in transition.
- The National Advisor of Investment and Technology Promotion will be responsible for the implementation of the project in Ethiopia and the achievement of the project’s objectives, results, and impacts, under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and the direct supervision of the Head of UNIDO ITPO Korea.
- The incumbent shall be in charge of the following duties and assignments:Identify and list up the investment, trade, and technology transfer opportunities in Ethiopia to be promoted in Korea
- Hold regular meetings/seminars/forums with local IPAs and Korean stakeholders residing in Ethiopia including the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Ethiopia to exchange updated investment, trade, and technology related information, establishing contact and continuously managing communication with them
- Provide consultancy services for Korean enterprises, based on thorough research on investment/trade climate, administrative procedures, legal framework, and any other relevant information of Ethiopian business environment c8RJOv5 DmW35D
- Organize delegation programmes to Korea for the purpose of investment, trade, and technology promotion
- Facilitate visits of Korean enterprises to Ethiopia by preparing business meetings, factory visits, logistics, and other match-making supports in cooperation with UNIDO ITPO Korea
- Provide support for business matchmaking meetings between Korean and Ethiopian enterprises and continuously follow-up the business performance throughout the project cycle – identification, appraisal and implementation.
- Perform other related activities entrusted by UNIDO, for the attainment of the project objectives.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential -and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent, in economics, business administration, international trade or other relevant discipline.
- Fluency in written and spoken Amharic and English is required. Working knowledge of Korean language is desirable.
Field of Expertise
- A minimum of five (5) years of working experience in the field of foreign investment, trade, and/or technology promotion activities is required.
- Experience in the implementation of development/technical cooperation projects is desirable.
- Sufficient business network and knowledge of the country and of the neighboring countries
- Knowledge and/or experience on Korean business culture and practices is desirable
This appointment is limited to the specified project(s) only and does not carry any expectation of renewal.
- Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process. Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependents, under the procedures established by the Director General.
Interested applicants to apply click the following link https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1645627965723
Application Deadline :15 March 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels:
35 Total views , 8 Views Today
Share on Facebook
Please login with Candidate account to view more fields.