United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position
Project Management Support – Senior Analyst, Djibouti City – UNOPS
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. Since 2014, the UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti. The UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office team is composed of approximately 100 national and international women and men, and offers a broad range of services such as infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial and human resources management.
Contract type: International Individual Contract Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA-1
Contract duration: Nine months
IGAD member states are among the most vulnerable to the COVID-19 pandemic. The virus appears to be spreading rapidly in the sub-region and governments have limited capacity to effectively monitor, contain and mitigate the pandemic. Various containment and mitigation measures are now in place in most countries, including complete lockdown, with the closure of borders and the reduction/suspension of international flights. These measures have, however, negative secondary effects not only on the movement of vulnerable populations and goods, but also on food security. Extremely dependent on external markets and investments, the impact of the pandemic on the sub-region economy and in particular employment is already manifesting and could be dramatic in the coming months. Disruptions to supply chains could cause food price hike and shortages, increase nutrition insecurity, halt production in key value chains.
The proposed programme design is intended to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the IGAD sub-region, responding to the call for international support made by IGAD Heads of States, Health and Finance Ministers.
The specific objectives are:
to support IGAD in its mandate to coordinate national responses to the COVID-19 pandemic at the sub-regional level
to provide health and socio-economic support to target beneficiaries (migrants, refugees, Internally Displaced Persons – and their host communities, cross-border communities)
Support measures for the safe circulation of goods and commodities (safeguard of corridors and cross-border flows)
Promote digital solutions relevant for the health COVID response, with specific attention to regional surveillance systems and monitoring systems.
UNOPS has been designated a direct recipient of the EU contribution to run the Project Management Unit which will be responsible for ensuring that all objectives under the contribution are met and manage the specific sub grantees under the project. The EU Covid 19 Response IGAD project falls under the purview of the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO) with the Project Management team of 8 members located in Djibouti City.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Management Support Senior Analyst assists the Project Manager in the daily Project Management both organizational and substantive matters, including budgeting, planning, supervising, monitoring and coordinating the Project. The main responsibility of a Senior Analyst is to ensure and follow up the activities implementation and monitoring and report the project results in accordance with the Project Document, Annual Work Plan and the rules and procedures established in the UNOPS Project Implementation Procedures.
The Project Management Support – Senior Analyst is also responsible to assist the Project Manager in for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. S/he is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
The Project Mangement Support Senior Analyst will assist the Project Manager in preparing annual project reports in line with UNOPS requirements, project implementation reports, to address the delivery of the infrastructure programme included in the EU IGAD project as well as any other reports requested by UNOPS. S/he must keep regular contact with the project experts and consultants to inform them about the project details and changes.aced
Summary of functions: Project Delivery and Performance
- Monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder engagement
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Personnel management
1. Project Delivery and Performance
- Assist the Project Manager in the development and maintenance of the project plans, Implementation of approved Project Plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Project Implementation Documents.
- Provide financial monitoring over project commitments, expenditures and balance of funds. Assist the Project Manager in assuring proper project delivery to ensure proper accounting of national co- financing relevant to the project.
- Organize control of budget expenditures by preparing payment documents and compiling financial reports including those required by relevant national procedures.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Advise the Project Manager of any possible deviations from the plan and possible corrective action.
- Deal with contract implementation, monitoring and reporting of all third party contracts implemented by the UNOPS Police stipends and projects.
- Support the Project manager in developing a management plan for all project contracts including, evaluation of subcontractor’s personnel qualifications, and monitoring delivery of contractual terms, certification of reports and payments, and issue of contract amendments.
- Provide objective oversight of various contract management processes and ensure their transparency.
- Develop and implement systems for internal control that would ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions, in collaboration with the procurement team.
- Identify continuous improvement and lessons learned.
- Identify risks and plan risk mitigation strategies, report on the progress of deployment activities, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
- Manage the production of the required outputs, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure that quality of work packages and deliverables complies with the quality requirements defined in the Implementation Plan.
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers.
- Accept goods, services or works delivered by suppliers.
Identify and report to the supervisor potential business opportunities for UNOPS as well as Identify and report threats to UNOPS’ internal business case to supervisor.
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is compiled with Organizational Directives and
- Administrative Instructions.
- Effective implementation of corporate directives, guidelines and strategies, and establishment of relevant management targets, as well as monitoring of achievements/results.
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of all programme related documentation, particularly; Monthly Reports, Quarterly Reports, Annual Reports, End of Programme Report and Handover Report.Draft project budget, budget revisions and procurement plan;
- Developing technical specifications for UNOPS equipment requirements and support the conduct of associated procurement processes for stipends and support project activities.
- Development and Implementation of local technical solutions to program threats, identifying shortfalls and timeframes for prevention and mitigation measures.
- Ensure the development and implementation of project financial management guidelines and control mechanisms, in conformity with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Support the management of budgets, cash flow, obligations to ensure that deliverable are met, and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project.
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
- Manage expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports). c8W4mnR DmW32e
- Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements.
- Perform any other tasks and duties requested by UNOPS Project Manager.
3.Monitoring and reporting
Ensure that the project produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits;
4. Stakeholder engagement
- Support the PM in establishing solid working relationship with the Project boards, client and key project stakeholders, providing advice and guidance on specific and general project management issues and where appropriate, institutional reform, rule of law and police related project support;
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings and other working groups to ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products;
Advise the partners on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
Support the PM in managing the information flows between the Project Board/Country Director (CD) and the project(s)
5. Knowledge management and innovation
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice;
- Provide feedback to practice leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies;
- Complete lessons learned as per reporting format;
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format.
6. Personnel Supervision
- Support PM in Leading, motivating, managing and support staff, contractors and consultants under her/ his supervision ensuring high quality service delivery;
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted timely and objectively;
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Head of Programme;
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities;
- Support the preparation Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the project’s personnel and operational arrangements such as staff, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars.
- Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function;
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
A first University degree in (Bachelor’s) in Finance, Business Administration, Project Management, or other relevant discipline is required.
An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Finance, Business Administration, Project Management, or other relevant disciplines with 2 years of work experience is an added advantage.
Certification: PRINCE2 Foundation and PRINCE2 practitioner and certification is desirable
- Four (4) years of experience in project management support is required.Two (2) years of experience with a Master’s Degree is an added advantage. Experience working with UNOPS financial rules and regulations is an added advantage.Experience in grant management, monitoring, reporting, and stakeholder management is added advantage.Experience in IGAD Countries is an added advantageLanguage
- Fluency in written, reading and spoken English Language is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How To Apply
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Closing Date:March 07,2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels:
Please login with Candidate account to view more fields.